Thursday, July 9, 2009

Letterbox Inventory

July 9, 2009

I have kept almost every single piece of written correspondence I've gotten since elementary school.

Feeling nostalgic, I dug out the box where I have been keeping greeting cards, letters, and other various sorts of mail over years. Granted I have not put everything in this box in the course of my life, I would estimate that it contains 75-80% of what I have received. (No scientific reasoning there, just pure instinct.)

But if you are looking for a more accurate and statistical representation of my collection, I have created an inventory of the contents in my beloved letterbox.

Graduation Cards: 88 (My mom was in charge of sending graduation announcements, she had sent them to every person who has ever known me.)
Birthday Cards: 58
Valentines: 53
Pen Pal Letters: 51 (I've had 7+ pen pals from places like France, Sweden, Finland, Malta, and Turkey.)
Christmas Cards: 32
Thank You Cards: 30
Friendly Letters: 28 (Not including the infamous letter exchanges with my friend Ashlie during senior year of high school.)
Photos: 10 (Mostly of pen pals.)
Postcards: 9 (Not including the dozens of written postcards strewn within my expansive postcard collection.)
Professional Letters: 8 (One from Highlights for Children magazine stating they would consider publishing the drawings I submitted in 1998. They never did.)
Good Luck Cards: 6
Chain Letters: 6
Easter Cards: 5
Confirmation Cards: 4
Stickers: 2
Get Well Cards: 1 
Thanksgiving Cards: 1 (Seriously, a Thanksgiving card?)
Newspaper Clippings: 1
Seashells: 1
'98 Swedish Travel Guides: 1
$10 Target Gift Card: 1 (Still valid!)

I will do this again in another 10 years or so and produce a comparison and detailed analysis. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment