Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Nebraska, The Good Life

July 7, 2009

The state nickname for Nebraska is the Cornhusker State.

Nebraska is 455 miles of fun along the stretch of I-80. I just came back from an impromptu road trip to Minnesota so that I could see friends for the 4th of July weekend. The 835 miles between Cheyenne and Northfield is long but easy. There is nothing but prairie and thunderstorms.

Luckily, I managed to escape the thunderstorms in Nebraska this time. I have been stopped before on several occasions along the lonesome plains due to severe rain and wind.

Last week, a guest at the hotel I work at told me all about the storm he encountered on his way to Wyoming. Usually guests who come in at 11:00 p.m. are dyspeptic and tired. However, this guest had enough energy to recount the epic adventure he had and I was able to commiserate with him. He explained how the sun was shining when he and his wife stopped at a Dairy Queen at some no-name Nebraska town. When they came out, there were dark clouds forming above and started to burst when they returned to the interstate. They were caught right in the middle of the storm, their windshield was nothing but a perpetual screen of rain. But they made it through and were absolutely awestruck by their experience on the wide expanse of prairie. I cannot even relay his enthusiasm with words.


There is a reason why Nebraska is not called the Sunshine State (Florida). But it should be called the Prairie State, which is for some reason Illinois.

No comments:

Post a Comment